Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Rome, Italy

Note:  Since uploading pictures to this blog is such a pain, from now on I will be uploading them to my newly created flickr account.

So to access sweet pictures from my travels please go to 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebrandongoodwin

As of now I have uploaded any pictures I have of graffiti in different parts of Europe.

So here's the truth about Barcelona...  everything of value was stolen out of my bag while I was walking down a very busy street in the center of town.  My passport, credit cards, money and rail pass were all taken.  It was sort of a crap situation but with the help of Tony, (the bald guy)
I was back on my feet in no time.  It's really a pretty amazing story.  I would love to tell you in person some time.  All that to say, I'm glad to be in Rome.

The last photo is a shot from the balcony of my hostel in Madrid.  It was quite beautiful.  I was in an extremely busy part of town, but I found my way to this fantastic park.  In the middle of the park was a small lake that you could take boats out on.  I would have to say that this park was the best thing I found in Madrid.  

So what was the worst thing I found in Madrid?  For me it was most certainly the bull fight I decided to go to.  I get it, there is culture and courage that surrounds this sport, but the bull fighting stadium I went (the main one in Madrid) to was packed with tourists.  I guess I didn't realize they killed the bull.  I thought they just made it run through the cape and what-not.  Nope, I was mistaken, it was a bloody mess.  I didn't much care for it.  I was pretty disappointed.  I even grew out a mustache to wear to the bullfight (as shown in photo).  All that mustache for nothing... 

However, I did catch a rather unusual moment on tape, so I guess it was worth my 10 Euros.  

You can see it at:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTHXk_AOcl   

So after Madrid, I caught an overnight train to Barcelona.  I was really liking it until some wanker stole all my stuff.  Below is a picture of the streets of Barcelona.  Above that is a photo of some friends I made the night of my pick-pocketing incident.

Anyhow, I'm in Rome now and all that is behind me.  I am staying in the best hostel I've ever seen in my life.  It's dirt cheap, has free internet and breakfast, and it's right on the Mediterranean.  I might end up staying here for a few extra days.  Who knows? 

I have met so many wonderful people and this trip has given me so much perspective and inspiration.  The more I think about it, the more thankful I am for this opportunity.  I'm trying to decide whether I want to go to Dublin or Istanbul next.... or maybe Amsterdam or Munich... I don't know.  Feel free to chime in and leave me your suggestions.

Love,

Brandon  





3 comments:

frank said...

Stay in Rome for a few days. Say hi to my motherland for me.

After that, I'd check out Munich or Zurich. Actually, any of the ich's would work.

I am green with envy, sir.

Katie Free said...

i can't beleive all your stuff got stolen. you are invited to a homecooked dinner when you get back, to tell joe and i your stories :)

Doug said...

Oh Brandon! I'm sorry all of your stuff was stolen - Barcelona really is a nice place! Enjoy Rome and I would say Munich next. Then go south to Greece and Turkey...